Friday, October 28, 2011

The Local Trend

So trip #1 of the late October/early November travel surge is behind me; 1 down 2 to go.  After arriving home late last night and spending my vacation day today preparing our home for the kids birthday party that was planned to be outdoors to be indoors(45 degrees, raining, chance of snow tonight) I was overjoyed to realize I already had a freezer full of meat and dinner was only a small inspiration away!

C and B's school....Salem Montessori School is raising funds for a playground at their new campus.  Honestly when I hear the word "fundraiser" I want to run and hide.  I assume someone is going to guilt me into buying something I don't really need.  I need to have a better heart in this area. However I was pleased to receive an email that was offering something I was actually interested in, was good for my family and for our community.

Broadview Ranch a multi-generation family run farm in Lexington, VA is partnering with our school to provide a all natural meat bundle to our school once a month with a portion of the proceeds going to our school.  Apparently this is called Community Supported Agriculture(CSA). Could this be any easier for me??? I think not!  I am getting a month's worth of high quality meat from a local family farm, supporting our kids school, and getting a better product for less.

I realize "buying locally" is a trendy phrase right now and believe me given my day job I am ANYTHING but buying locally on a daily basis, but when I can and it makes sense I love to buy local.

I was so excited to taste my first meat bundle creation, vegetable beef soup.  It was delicious especially given it was thrown together at the last minute. 

If you are a Salemite/Roanoker check out this CSA....if you are not do some searching in your area to see if you can find something similar. 

Ready for the kiddos in the morning....wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment